Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

Can a solicitor send me a bill dated 19th March 2010, for work

Can a solicitor send me a bill dated 19th March 2010, for work done between 2nd February 2008 and 30th June 2008? the bill is not detailed either. Thank you.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

If the work has actually been carried out and is properly payable under your engagement letter/terms of business with them then there is nothing preventing them issuing the invoice now I'm afraid.

If the invoice is not detailed then you can request a breakdown of their charges so you can examin it against the work that was actually carried out on your behalf. Ask for itemised billing by letters in/out, emails in/out, telephone calls in/out, attendance hours, drafting hours, perusal hours and travelling.

If you dispute the bill you will have to initiate their internal complaints procedure, this might result in getting some knocked off it. If you are still unstaisfied after this then you will have to refer the matter to the Legal Complaints Service.

Sorry it could not be better news.

Kind regards,

Tom

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
even if they refer to incorrect work, ie 'we instructed in respect of a) obtaining a certificate of cancellation on your behalf', whilst the only certificate I could have applied for was a certificate of satisfaction...
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

If you have a dispute that the work carried out was not the work you actually instructed then to carry out then you have to initiate their internal complaints procedure, but this does not prevent them from issuing the invoice I'm afraid.

Ultimate payment, negotiate on, or cancellation of the invoice will be sorted out as a result of the their internal complaints procedure or via the LSC.

I hope this clarifies, if so please kindly click accept.

Kind regards,

Tom