Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

my wife and I came from holland to the uk two years ago and

my wife and I came from holland to the uk two years ago and I was allowed to remain on her passport and work here. I am from ghana, since then we have split up and she has gone back to holland, the home office took my passport but did not tell me to return to ghana can I still work in this country even i she has left. I have got until 2013 on my passport
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

What was your most recent visa in this country and when did this expire?

Have you made any other applications for a visa since the one you state above?

Tom

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have never had a visa we were told when we came that we did not need one what should I do now
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

As a family member of a EEA national you would have required a EEA family permit in order to stay here.

If you have separated you wife has retured to Hollland and the UKBA found out about it then in all likelihood they would have curtailed your EE family permit and asked you to return home. This is almost certainly why they have retained your passport.

You've got to get in contact with the Home Office to find out what immigration status they believe you have and why they have retained your pasport - if they are seeking to curtail your immigration status then you have got to ask on what grounds.

If the suspect you of working here illegally thought it sounds as if they believe you do not have a valid immigration status this country I'm afriad.

Get in contact with them, play your cards close to your chest and don't volunteer anything you do not have to.

Sorry it could not be better news. If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Tom