Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

I am a leaseholder of an owned property. My current leasehold

I am a leaseholder of an owned property. My current leasehold agreement is signed as being between myself and a former owner of the building, not the current freeholder. Should the lease have been rewritten between myself and the current freeholder to remain legal or does it default automatically? I want to understand if the conditions of the leasehold are currently valid if I have no documents signed by the current owner of the building. Thank you.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

The freehold title out of which your leasehold interest has been granted will be registered at the Land Registry and this will have been registered in to the new name of the current freeholder. There is no need to update the actual lease itself.

If you are so minded you can download a copy of the freehold registered title by paying a small free to the Land Registry:-

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,