Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

My husband is about to resign as a director of a limited company

My husband is about to resign as a director of a limited company he has with his son. His son wants to carry on running the company but I believe without my husbands money and involvement that it would not last very long.
My question is would my husband have any obligations with regard his resigned directorship and what would he need to do to avoid any involvement?
I hope you can help, thank you.
J x
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Hi J,

Your husband would remain liable to the company for acts which he carried out which were not authorised under the company's objects clause in the company's memorandom (ie. the purpose of the company) and if he carried out acts which were beyond the scope of the authority granted to him by the company.

If he comitted any torts (ie. deceit) then he would remain liable to the company for the loss suffered as a result. If he caried on business in such a way to defraud the creditors of the business then he may incur personal liability

If he personally signed any guarantees (eg. loans to comany or company overdrafts) then he would also be liable for these.

If the above do not apply to your husband then he will not continue to be liable to the Company for being a director.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will eb gratefull received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,