Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

i have petitioned my wife for divorce, although know she recieved

i have petitioned my wife for divorce, although know she recieved the petition she has not responded. we have not seen each other for 8 years and have no children or shared property. can i swear an affidavit to this affect and present it to the court so i can get my divorce?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

No, you cannot do that. You have got to complete two copies of Form 89 (available for download from HMCS's website), complete them and return them to the Court with a photograph or description of her and the Court's fee (you will have to ask them how much - it won't be a lot). You only do this after 8 days since the petition was sent.

The Court bailiff will then effect service and swear an affadavit so your divorce can then proceed.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,