Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

Hello, Im a tourist and presented some amount at a currencey

Customer Question

I'm a tourist and presented some amount at a currencey exchange store near Hydepark. After the money was exchanged I noticed that I changed more than I needed .. so I asked the teller to take back some of the amount but he refused to do so .. is this legal?
Mohammad
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

Hi Mohammad,

Thanks for your question.

I'm sorry - they are under no obligation to correct your mistake. Had you brought this to their attention during the transaction then you probably would be correct in being able to alter the amount you changed.

You contracted with them to change a certain amount of money, they performed their contractual obligation. That the subject matter (ie. the amount of money) of the contract was not suitable for your particular purpose after you asked for it does not put them under a duty to correct your honest mistake.

Sorry it couldn't be better news, I'm sure it's frustrating.

If this useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time It will be gratefully received and you will be free to follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Tom

Thomas, Lawyer
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for your prompt reply. Let me take this a little further, I immediately called the company phone number and the person I talked to said OK, we will call the teller (so, like you said they're under no obligation to correct my mistake and I understand that) .. the person I talked to was trying to help by calling his teller to correct my mistake .. however after a short while, the teller was rude and asked me to leave .. so I called the same number and the same person I talked to (now with a different tone) accused me of throwing things at his teller (I believe there was a camera in the store so that should prove they were lying) .. Now here is my question, I felt humiliated in front of my family who was with me at the time and all I demand is an apology for threatening and accusing me of false things and I'm willing to spend more time and money in London to get an apology even through court procedure .. is there a chance for that ?

Mohammad

Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

Hi Mohammad,

Thank you for your accept and very kind bonus.

There is obviously no legal process to invoke to get them to give you an apology. If they've committed a legal wrong then you can get compensation by damages but you can't make someone apologise if they are not minded to, though such a victory would doubtless be a vindication.

The difficulty is that being rude is unpleasant but not illegal. In order to have an action for defamation a statement has to be made which is false, communicated to a third party and damages your reputation. There is a problem here in that it was on the phone and therefore not communicated to a third party (though I note your family was present when you were on the phone. These actions are very expensive, tens of thousands, complicated and with no guarantee success. It would not be appropriate in this case.

I sympathise with you because it's plainly poor behaviour by them, but a sternly worded complaint letter to them and a possible complaint to trading standards is the way forward.

Kind regards,

Tom

Thomas, Lawyer
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I understand what you're saying but at the same time I want the company to know that I'm not happy with what happened today especially that their website shows they have earned the award for “Investment in People”! As per your advice, I can lower my expectation and instead of asking for an apology I want them at least to know there is a very dissatisfied customer and I'm willing to spend money to do that. Their website is very limited in their contact section and I just filled their inquiry form but that doesn't satisfy me. Will you be willing to spend some time to make sure that an offical complaint reaches their management and possibly a copy to the trading standards that you suggested or whatever organization that looks after London tourists .. (I don't want to spoil my family holiday time) how much will that cost me if I delegate this to you? It's The Change Group International PLC and the branch at which this happened today is Marble Arch ..

Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

Hi Mohammad,

I'm afraid private contact between experts and customers is prohibited by JA and the site is for general advice only.

If you do not consider the inquiry form you have in hand to be an appropriate format to express and registry your dissatisfaction then write a formal letter to them laying out your complaint and asking that they respond within 7 days of the date of the letter otherwise you shall refer the matter to Trading Standards (http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/.)

If you do not know where to send the address then I would send it to their registered address, you can look this up by using Companies House webcheck services:-

http://wck2.companieshouse.gov.uk/4ac2e16169df2810e22f3a0c7afcaaa7/wcframe?name=accessCompanyInfo

Kind regards,

Tom

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks Tom

Sorry I didn't know about the private contact restriction (this is my first time using this site).

I will then have to prepare the letter myself (there goes some of my vacation time :D)

This has been an informative correspondence .. so the Trading Standards is like consumer advocacy organization ..

Bye for now ..

Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

Trading Standards is a nationwide consumer protection watchdog.

Good luck.

Tom