How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7600
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi I have been to China two times now; and on the 17th may

This answer was rated:

Hi' I have been to China two times now; and on the 17th may 2010 i got married to my life partner.
My partner has got her new international passport from the Chinese authorities.
I think that all she needs to do now is apply for a VISA so that she can come to the United Kingdom' but I'm not sure about the proper procedures that I have to do or what procedures my partner needs to do.
My partner is learning English and she is staying at her brothers hotel in Wuhan City;so she is not one of those migrant's who is seeking a way of getting in to the uk illegally.
My partner want's to settle down in the United Kingdom and work as well' and when she is settled here the both of us will want to go back to China to see our friends and family members. warm regards; keith west

Hi Keith,


Thanks for your question.


If she is to come here to live permanently as your wife then she will need to apply for a spouses visa directly to the British Embassy nearest to her.


You will have to show the following:-


  • 1. That you are legally married to each other (marriage certificate)
  • 2. That you are present and settled in the UK (passport, evidence of your life here - tax records, employment, residence)
  • 3. You intend to live permanently together here in the UK as husband and wife (statements, evidence of her (statements, correspondence)
  • 4. You can support each other without the need for public funds (bank statements, evidence of income)
  • 5. You have suitable accommodation which is owned or lived in only by you or your household and where you and your dependents can live without any help from public funds (tenancy agreement, land registry docs if you your own home)
  • 6. That neither of you are younger than 21 years of age. (birth certificates, passports)

Importantly you must be able to show that the income and assets available to you are enough to cover the costs of your living accommodation and day-to-day living expenses in the area in the UK that you are going to live in. You should present a budget to them to show that your financial arrangement are such that you will not need to access public funds.


She will need to apply by completing form VAF4, available for download from the UKBA's visa website.



To give yourselves the best possibly chance of a affirmative decision upon application (ie. without the need to appeal) it would be best for either a solicitor in the UK to prepare it in consultation with both you and your wife before submitting it. If you do not wish to pay a solicitor to prepare it for you then I would suggest at least paying to get them to check the application you yourselves have prepared before submission.


Your wife can find Uk immigration solicitors through the following Law Society Website search engine:-



If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,


Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

My wife is very upset and she thinks that we will never be together because of this stupid new rule by the people in the goverment.

There is an agency in china that helps chinese citizens to get in to the United Kingdom; but now they have told my wife that she must complete the VAF4 form in English; but I have noticed that a paragraph in the guidance for part eight ( your strip) states in section 8.1.2 " if we need to interview you what language would you like to use in the interview.

now I dont understand; i thought persons coming from out side the European Union had to read English and understand English.

whats going on; as i understand the situation at the moment; all my wife needs to do is get the VAF4 form completed correctly in English with the help from someone who understands the documents rules and regulations and as long as my wife is going to get English lessons when she is in England and that she signs the VAF4 form to acknowledge the forms details; she should be able to apply for a spouse visa.



I would complete the form for her and email to her so that she can submit it to the British Embassy.


Yes, they will require your wife to have a basic command of english and pass English Language test. This is a very basic test of spoken (and listening) english, she can call the British Embassy (or you can) to get their details on tests/courses available from either the licensed providers near where she is. It is to prove she can use simple, everyday expressions and very basic phrases.


Kind regards,



Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Law Questions