Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

I am a British citizen srilankan origin,in uk since 1970,employed

I am a British citizen srilankan origin,in uk since 1970,employed and contributed from 1970 to 2009 when i got redundant.Now on pension credit and housing benefit.Total monthly income GBP 1200, Rent GBP 600/month.
Will my status hinder my wife's application for the uk visa to join me here.She has savings of GBP 10,000 in srilanka which she will transfer to UK

Thanks for your question.

The criteria you will have to meet is that you must be able to support and house each other without the need to access public funds. This can be taken to mean without the need to access FURTHER public funds. You will have to show that you do not need any more public funds than you already receive once your wife is in the UK.

You have to demonstrate that you both have sufficient assets and income that you can meet the day to day expenses (food, clothing, bills) and your accommodation. The amount varies according to where you are living (eg. London being more expensive that, say Wales).

You've got to show them a budget for your expenses versus your income and provide documentary evidence for both. If you wife is to work when she is here then you must show her experience and also that there are jobs available here that she could do when she gets here.

It may get rejected initially on the basis of you receiving public funds, but you will have leave to appeal and this generally results in a more balanced hearing of your case.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,