Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'

Can i travel to america if i have a suspended sentence i received

Can i travel to america if i have a suspended sentence i received this in spain re to my ex wife accusing me of something i didnt do as she lives there. i wish to take my children next year to florida and need to know.

Category: UK Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 6 years ago.

I presume you were arrested at the time?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no in spain you have whats called a denouncia then it just goes to court we were in court the other day but they dont sentence you for up to 4 months but the lawyer said if i lose i will get a suspended sentence lasting 3-5years but need to take the children to visit relatives to florida next year
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 6 years ago.
So is this technically a criminal record?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 6 years ago.

In that case you will need a visa as you are not eligible for the Visa Waiver Programme if you have been arrested or have a criminal record. You would need to make an application to the US Embassy for a visitor's visa and would need to attend an interview, but it would not necessarily stop you travelling to the US.

Please press the ACCEPT button. You would then also be able to ask any follow-up questions you may have. Thank you.