Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

Hello there. Please could you tell me if it is necessary for

Hello there. Please could you tell me if it is necessary for the seller's signature for his house sale to be witnessed or is it sufficient that he signs in the presence of his solicitor and no-one else. Many thanks in advance. Lynne

Thanks for your question.

It is not necessary for the seller's signature to be witness on the contract (which is exchanged with the buyer's part contract similarly signed), but upon completion the Seller will executed the Land Registry Transfer form to transfer the registered legal title to the buyer and this must be signed by the seller and witnessed.

It's perfectly acceptable for the seller to have signed the contract in front of their solicitor without a witness printing their details on the contact itself.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,