Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

Myself and my partner have rented a property for a years joint

Customer Question

Myself and my partner have rented a property for a years joint rental, I have currently rent my own property out so we could rent this together, I have alittle girl myself and he is not the father. The other day he assaulted me and now refuses to pay his half of the rent while I'm in the property. I have nowhere to go untill I can get back in my house, can he be made to pay towards this house? Thaks
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for your question. It's a difficult situation and I sympathise with your position.

Can you just clarify that you are asking if there is anything you can do to compel him to pay his share of the rent on the property that you took out a tenancy on together?

Kind regards,

Tom

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi

Yes that is correct, can he be forced to pay his half or will it all fall on me?

Thanks

Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for your reply.

If you are both named on the tenancy agreement then your a probably jointly and severally liable which means that the landlord could sue either or both of you for any monies outstanding under the tenancy agreement.

If you think the landlord will be sympathetic to your position then you can try and plead your position to him in the hope that any action he takes will be taken against your partner only and not you.

There is little you can actually do to compel him to pay his half of the rent.

If the landlord takes action against you and you end up having to pay monies to cover your partner's share of the rent they you may be able to sue your partner for the money you have to pay if you agreed that you should both be equally responsible for half of the share of the rent.

Needless to say, if he has assaulted you then you need to speak to the police.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Tom

Thomas, Lawyer
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX infromed the landlord of my situation and the police have already been involved so I am hoping the will just persue him for his half. Also are we both jointly responsible for the bills, council tax etc or will I have to pay all of them? As it is a joint tenancy but the checks regarding wages were taken out on my partner not myself as I am on a low income with a child.

Thanks

Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your kind accept.

If you agreed that you should be jointly responsible for the household bills and are named as such then you will be jointly responsible, but the utility providers will obviously chase the person(s) named on the account.

Tom