Clare
Clare, Solicitor
Experience:  family solictor with 25 years experience
13262538

UK domestic Rules, Log book for HGV driver. Can you tell me

Customer Question

UK domestic Rules, Log book for HGV driver. Can you tell me what is legal my firm have told me I do not have to take breaks as long as you don't go over your driving hours you can do what ever you want.

I thought 11 hours duty time was for instance 0800-1900 (11 Hours) not if you are held up at an abottoir for a few hours you can do as many as you like. I have tried vosa and still they cannot calrify what is legal and what is not. I have read the book on drivers hours from vosa still not enough depth into log book do's and don'ts when I have taken into the company they say Im miss reading.

I am at threat of losing my job because company seem to think I can do what ever I want, but surely that cannot be correct.

I interprit the law to be 11 hours duty (this must not be boken unless emergency ie: accidents) and 10 of this is maximum driving - I carry bio products ie: abottoir waste.

Hope you can help
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Clare replied 6 years ago.
hi
in fact the rules are that you can only work 15 hours a day and only drive for 4 and a half hours with out a 15 min break and and a half hour break every six hours
however you can only work 90 hours every rolling fortnight
claire
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hi

We are looking for the rules for GB domestic rules, which are the log book the answer provided is for tagograph law.

Can you help with the log book rules.

Thanks

Expert:  Clare replied 6 years ago.
hi
can you confirm what you mean by "log book" rules
the answer i have given covers uk and european driving laws - the tachograoh is simply the method of proving adherence to those rules
claire