Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

hi, actually im in uk almost 8 yrs but first 3 yrs i was student

hi, actually i'm in uk almost 8 yrs but first 3 yrs i was student then i got married and changed my status as dependant visa on my wife. My question is i been working 5 yrs in acompany so can i apply for settlement visa? Many thanks

Can you confirm if you have a spouse's visa after following marriage to your wife and the nationality of your wife?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Even my wife has the same nationality as me- Mauritian.
yes i am as her dependant- A student dependent.

So you switched from your student visa to a dependent visa of your wife. Is this what you are saying? You can only be a dependant of your wife NOT student dependent of your wife.

Of course, you could be a dependent of your wife and undergo studies but the status of your visa is still a dependent visa.

Please confirm.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes thats what am saying..
what i wanted to know is that am working 7 years in a food company as a supervisor, is it possible to apply for an indefinite stay?

Right. If you status is that of a dependent then, at present, you have to have been in the UK legally for 10 years in order to be eligible to apply for settlement/ILR.

Although you have been working you have not been working under a workers visa (you have been working on a dependent visa) and therefore do not qualify for the 5 years time limit.

Sorry it could be better news. If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
sorry tom i have got one more question..
actually my baby was born this year itself in january.. is she going to be under mauritian citizen or british citizen?

If you are both Mautrian then the child will be Maurtian.

Thank you for your kind accept.