How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7406
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am need of some help regarding my grand father who is currently

Resolved Question:

I am need of some help regarding my grand father who is currently living in india, he is 89 years of age and lives by him self following the death of my grand mother.

I am really looking for some assistance in how I can get him over to the UK to live with us, all his sons and daughters live in the UK and he relies on financial support from us. Can you offer any advice as to what the best course of action would be? I have looked at the various government websites but I find all the information confusing. My grandfather also served in world war 2 with the British Army. He is also a memeber of the burma star association and is well decorated during his carear in the Indian Army.

His sons and and myself his grandson are more than happy to look after and support him, we dont wish for any financial support from the government.

My grandfather first visted the UK many years ago, I think around 1970, then more recently following the death of my grand mother he was given a 6month visa, where he returned to india after 2 months as he was concenred about his belonging and property in Punjab India.

I want to know what i need to do to get him here to the uk and how much it would cost, he would also want to return to india from time to time.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.


Thanks for your question.


He would have to apply for a dependent visa from the British Embassy in his Country. In order to be eligible he would have to show that he is:-

  • He is a widowed grandparent over 65 years of age (ie. birth certificate, death certificate, passport)
  • He is completely or mainly financially dependent on his children or grandchildren (his financial records, your financial records of transfer of money to him)
  • He has no close relatives in his own Country to help him (statements from him, perhaps others)
  • His children/;grandchildren can support him without needing help from public funds (evidence of your housing/assets/income which is to assist him)
  • His children/grandchildren have enough accommodation which they alone own or live in where he can live with the need to access public funds (land registry title documents, tenancy agreements, statements from you all)

He would have to complete Form VAF4 - Settlement. It would be best for an immigration solicitor to prepare it for you here before sending it to your grandfather to submit. This will give him the best chance of success.



Your wife can find Uk immigration solicitors through the following Law Society Website search engine:-



If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,



Customer: replied 6 years ago.

What if he didnt want permanant residancy in the uk, is there an option of getting him a long visa for sale 5 years? so he can come and go as he pleases?

If he wanted to be able to return would he be able to take dual nationality?

Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.



He could speak to the British Embassy about a visitor's visa, but it's not really appropriate for his circumstances and may effect the UKBA's view on any subsequent dependent visa he would choose to make in that they would ask why after applying as a visitor do you now consider that you are dependent.


He would not be eligible for dual nationality until he has been in the Country for ten years I'm afraid.


I hope this clarifies, if so please kindly click accept.

Kind regards,




Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7406
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Ben Jones

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
< Last | Next >
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Jenny Mackenzie's Avatar

    Jenny Mackenzie

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 10 years experience in general legal matters
  • Matthew J's Avatar

    Matthew J


    Satisfied Customers:

    4 y PQE (Partner) - Commercial / Residential Property & Property and Civil litigation experience
  • Stuart J's Avatar

    Stuart J


    Satisfied Customers:

    PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    family solictor with 25 years experience
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor