Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

I am need of some help regarding my grand father who is currently

I am need of some help regarding my grand father who is currently living in india, he is 89 years of age and lives by him self following the death of my grand mother.

I am really looking for some assistance in how I can get him over to the UK to live with us, all his sons and daughters live in the UK and he relies on financial support from us. Can you offer any advice as to what the best course of action would be? I have looked at the various government websites but I find all the information confusing. My grandfather also served in world war 2 with the British Army. He is also a memeber of the burma star association and is well decorated during his carear in the Indian Army.

His sons and and myself his grandson are more than happy to look after and support him, we dont wish for any financial support from the government.

My grandfather first visted the UK many years ago, I think around 1970, then more recently following the death of my grand mother he was given a 6month visa, where he returned to india after 2 months as he was concenred about his belonging and property in Punjab India.

I want to know what i need to do to get him here to the uk and how much it would cost, he would also want to return to india from time to time.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Hi

Thanks for your question.

He would have to apply for a dependent visa from the British Embassy in his Country. In order to be eligible he would have to show that he is:-

• He is a widowed grandparent over 65 years of age (ie. birth certificate, death certificate, passport)
  • He is completely or mainly financially dependent on his children or grandchildren (his financial records, your financial records of transfer of money to him)
  • He has no close relatives in his own Country to help him (statements from him, perhaps others)
  • His children/;grandchildren can support him without needing help from public funds (evidence of your housing/assets/income which is to assist him)
  • His children/grandchildren have enough accommodation which they alone own or live in where he can live with the need to access public funds (land registry title documents, tenancy agreements, statements from you all)

He would have to complete Form VAF4 - Settlement. It would be best for an immigration solicitor to prepare it for you here before sending it to your grandfather to submit. This will give him the best chance of success.

Your wife can find Uk immigration solicitors through the following Law Society Website search engine:-

http://www.lawsociety.org.uk/choosingandusing/findasolicitor.law

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Tom

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

What if he didnt want permanant residancy in the uk, is there an option of getting him a long visa for sale 5 years? so he can come and go as he pleases?

If he wanted to be able to return would he be able to take dual nationality?

Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

He could speak to the British Embassy about a visitor's visa, but it's not really appropriate for his circumstances and may effect the UKBA's view on any subsequent dependent visa he would choose to make in that they would ask why after applying as a visitor do you now consider that you are dependent.

He would not be eligible for dual nationality until he has been in the Country for ten years I'm afraid.

I hope this clarifies, if so please kindly click accept.

Kind regards,

Tom