How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7509
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I want to change the name on the deeds to the flat. I want

Resolved Question:

I want to change the name on the deeds to the flat. I want to take my name off and put my wifes name on. How much will it cost and how long does it take?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.



Thanks for your question.


Do you have a mortgage on the property?


Kind regards,



Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Right. In that case you will not be able to transfer the property/mortgage in to her name without the lender's consent. To do this she would have to demonstrate sufficient income in order for the lender to issue her with a mortgage offer.


If she can do this then you will be able to transfer the deeds/mortgage by way of a transfer of equity and remortgage, the fees for this would not be significant £300.00 approx.


If ths cannot then the mortgage company will not consent to the transfer and you will not, regrettably. able to transfer it in to her sole name.


If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,



Thomas and 2 other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Law Questions