Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

My son in Law has worked for a company just under 12 months.

My son in Law has worked for a company just under 12 months. On Friday when finishing work for 2 weeks holiday he was given a letter stating that the company were terminating his employment. The letter said that wilst is ability and comitment were second to none there were issues that he had not improved on.My son in law says that no issues with his work were ever brought to his attention and so could not have known there were any problems that needed improvement.

Your comments please.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

How long exactly has he worked for the company, it's very important to establish if he has worked there for one year or not.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
He has worked 11 months
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Unfortunately employees who have worked for an employer for less than 12 month do not have the right not to be unfairly dismissed under employment legislation.

Rightly or wrongly until an employee has been employed for 12 months the employer can terminate the contract of employment for any reason whatsoever and provided they have given the correct amount of notice and have not breached any other term of the employment contract then the employee will have no claim.

I'm very sorry it could not be better news. Employees have very limited protection until the one year limit.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,