How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7600
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Good morning. A year ago I broke up with a long term girlfriend

This answer was rated:

Good morning.

A year ago I broke up with a long term girlfriend of almost 3 years. During the time we were together I lent her at least £300 in on lump sum when she was struggling with rent, I of course trusted her to pay it back. This year I am aware she has struggled for money but I know now that she is not, so I asked her for the money back. She said of course, it was my money and that she should have already paid it back. She also asked 'Was it £350?' to which I replied 'I'm not sure it was between £300 and £350, shall we say £325?' She accepted this and asked for my bank details.
This week she has said to me that she doesn't think she should pay me back - that you shouldn't give back what has been borrowed in a relationship. This has left me feeling stupid, and robbed.
I know it is a real long shot but I have all of the text messages between me and her, proving she acknowledges that she owes me the money.
Is there any chance at all I might be able to get my money back?
Thank you



Thanks for your question.


The key here is being able to prove that the transfer of money to her was by way of loan and not a mere gift. If you are confident that the text messages, or other evidence you can produce (your witness statement and those of any others who have knowledge), can prove that it was intended as a loan then you can have a reasonable expectation to get your money back.


In the first instance you should write a formal letter to her outlining the facts as you understand then and requesting that the money be paid to you (or a repayment plan suggested) within 7 days of the date of the letter failing which you will issue a claim in the small claims court to recover the monies.


If no response is received you can issue through, it's pretty cheap (somewhere between £50-100.00 for this, which you can claim back) and very easy to use.


If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,



Thomas and 3 other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Law Questions