Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

On 10thFeb this year I ordered a new garage door, from a reputable

On 10thFeb this year I ordered a new garage door, from a reputable firm & paid £160 deposit & was told it would be with me in 3 weeks. I have still not got it, despite several phone calls & being given four more dates for it's delivery. I would like to know if I would be within my rights to insist I get the deposit back & pay in full when the door is finally here. Or is there another route to take.
[email protected]
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

How did you contract with the supplier, was it over the phone/internet rather than attending their offices?

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I was in touch on the phone

Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

If it was over the phone and you did not attend their office's then there is both a right to cancel for delayed delivery and an automatic cooling off period implied in to the contract.

If the goods have not been delivered within the time period in the contract or such other period as you have agreed to then you are entitled to be "reimbursed any sum paid on or behalf of the consumer under or in relation to the contract" - see regulation 19:-

Write to them immediately, preferably by post and email/fax confirming the above and you request for a refund.

If the goods are now delivered then you have a cooling off period of 7 working days from the date you actually received the goods: reg 10 & 11(1). If this happens you should write to them immediately citing the above regs and requesting a full refund.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,