Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

Hello, I am going to buy a house with my partner. I am paying

I am going to buy a house with my partner. I am paying all the deposit so need to protect my assets! Can I ask for a percentage of ownership in the buying contract is this the usual process? Or can a line be put in stating that if the house is sold I get the deposit back and the rest is divided equally? Do I need a seperate solicitor to make this happen?
Also, we are not married if that makes a difference.

Thanks for your question.

The most common practice is for both your and your partner to enter in to a declaration of trust upon exchange of contracts. This is a deed signed as such by both of you and it can express the fact that you have contributed to the financing of the purchase. It would therefore state that you should either receive an amount equal to your deposit contribution before distribution of the remaining proceeds of sale OR that you should receive a bigger percentage of the equity.

Your choice really, but as long as you let you conveyancer know they will take your instructions and prepare a draft for your execution.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,