Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

i live in the uk since 1994 my nationality is Portuguese and

i live in the uk since 1994 my nationality is Portuguese and I was married for over 10 years in the uk to a british national. I got divorced and have remarried again with a Bristish national. I also have a baby daughter born here and with bristish passport. I have national insurance since I arrive in the Uk.
Do i really need to ask for Bristish Citzenship? or am I already a British citzen?
Do i realy have to pay 735.00 plus other costs to have the right to a british passport after so many years here?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

You are not already a British Citizen I'm afraid. Provided you have been self sufficient (ie. studying, self employed or employed and not absent from the UK for 6 months in any one year) for five years then due to your length of time in this Country you automatically have permanent residence here as an EEA national.

If you wish to become a UK citizen then you will have to apply for naturalsation through the home office (paying their fee, which is what I assume the £735.00 applies to) and then pass the life in the uk test and undergo the citizenship ceremony. You may then apply for a British passport.

There is no getting around it unfortunately, sorry it could not be better news.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,