Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

We have a six month tenancy contract on our flat. Our landlady

We have a six month tenancy contract on our flat. Our landlady has informed us that she is selling the flat and that she will hand our deposit over to the new landlord. The new landlord has apparantly said that he will honour the contract that we have with our current landlady.

Can our landlady just hand our deposit and contract over to the new owner like this? Can we get the deposit back in order to negotiate a new contract with the new owner?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

Are you occupying the property under an assured shorthold tenancy and how much is the annual rent?

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
we have an assured shorthold tenancy agreement and the rent is £550 a month
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

...and do you know whether your deposit has been lodged in a tenancy deposit scheme, or do you suspect the landlord personally is holding it?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the deposit is in a tenancy deposit scheme
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for your reply.

The deposit will not be 'handed over' to the new landlord; they will just step in to the shoes of the old landlord when it comes to the return of it. If no deductions are agreed to then the new landlord will not ever come in to contact with the deposit monies.

Evidence of the change in owner will need to be passed to the TDS so that they will deal with the new landlord, so the office copy entries will need to be produced to them by the new landlord.

Sale of the freehold is not grounds for the return of the deposit to you or to terminate your tenancy agreement I'm afraid.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,