Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

i want to afford some protection for my partner in the event

i want to afford some protection for my partner in the event of my death by writing a letter of bequest that will allow her some rights to stay in the property we live in that is in my name only for a maximum period with out predjudicing the rights of my childern from my first relationship, i also want her to be able to recover the money she pays me towards costs and leave her a percentage of the equity
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Have you considered executing a Will to give effect to your wishes? Is there any particular reason why you have not considered this, it seems the logical step forward.

Kind regards,

Tom

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes it does, but a will can be challenged i dont want anything complicated i just want to make a bequest to her for some peace of mind should i die.
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Bequests are made in Wills.

It can be challenged but you can limit the likely exposure to a challenge by giving detailed instructions to a solicitor rather than making one yourself and making them specifically aware of your concerns. They check to make sure you have capacity and understand the implications of your decision. They could swear to this in the event of a challenge to it.

A Will really does offer the most security for post-death arrangements and seems the most approprirate to your circumstances, you will have to decide the value porton of the equity to leave your partner and how long she should have a right of occupation in the property and a Will can be drafted to reflect this.

Kind regards,

Tom