Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

hello my name is donna i have a question about my landlord

hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX have a question about my landlord I rent a house and am £2000 pounds behind in rent which he has demanded to have in 7 seven days the council pay half but i was spending it and not sending it to him my contract ran out in november and he has not given me a new one as of yet can he still claim this money

Thanks for your question.

I'm very sorry but yes, he can demand and then sue you for this money if it's owed as back rent. The fact that you have not executed a new tenancy agreement does not effect this. You are now occupying the property as a statutory periodic tenancy, which means that the tenancy continues on the same terms as your previous tenancy but from one rent period to the next (so month to month if he you pay your rent mostly.

If you can't afford to pay him now your going to have to negotiate some form of repayment plan with him

Sorry it could not be better news.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,