Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

When my son was 10 i remarried and we had his name changed

When my son was 10 i remarried and we had his name changed by going to a solicitor and she gave us a document witnessed and signed by her to do this. at 28 he has decided he wants to revert back to his birth name. how does he go about this and who does he have to notify.

Thanks for your question.

As an adult he will have to complete a Change of Name Deed drafted by a solicitor or change his name by deed poll. He can use one of the online providers to do so by deed poll if he wishes.

To up date his records he will need to write to all the relevant institutions (bank, passport agency, DVLA, other companies with which he has a relationship) and submit the original deed and a copy of the deed changing his name certified by a solicitor so that they will process the amendment. He should obviously ask each individual institution to return the orginal deed once they have updated their records.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Tom