How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7408
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hey, I am looking to set up a business with my partner.

This answer was rated:


I am looking to set up a business with my partner. We would like to register with the companies house.

What steps would we have to take and should i register as a Ltd company or a LLP?

Would we both have to quit our current jobs or could we continue to work while we start up our business?

We are looking to hire on a solicitor who can help us with the start up of our business.




Thanks for your question.


It's actually very simple to register a company at Companies House, once it has been registered the company is in existence albeit that it may not be trading because you are not actively doing business. You can register online by using the Companies House website:-


It's similarly uncomplicated to set up a LLP and you can see the link on the above site for Limited Liability Partnership. I believe you can set one up by submitting two forms to Companies House. Again, once registered the firm will be "in existence".


It's perfectly fine to form a company and run it in your spare time, provided your business needs do not dictate that full time staff are required.


The key, I suppose, if you are both going to be the main shareholders/partners in the business is to be clear about your responsibilities, duties, what happens to profits or debts incurred, equity brought in or taken out by you, and what happens in the event of dispute or deadlock on issues. These issues can be dealt with in the case of a company by a shareholder agreement executed by you both or in the case of a partnership a partnership agreement executed by both.


Both documents would set out specific clauses on the above mentioned points and would be a binding contract between you both. I wouldn't bother paying a solicitor to form the company/partnership because it's very simple for you to do on your own but I would instruct a solicitor to draft such an agreement for you, particularly if you think you will either make significant money from the enterprise or anticipate working full time in the future then I would advise you to seek advice from a solicitor to get one drafted.


You can find solicitors in your area using the following Law Society search engine, just put in your postcode and select "business services":-


Get them to do it for a fixed fee and then get your money's worth by pestering them on the phone or by email on the detail, it pays to be clear from the start. Have an written idea about what you're going to ask to be included in the agreement on the above points before you go in there.


If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,



Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7408
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and 2 other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you

Further to your more recently posted question. You could just start your business on an informal basis (either as a sole trade or as partnership (agreed orally)) and declare any money you earn from it as additional income on your tax return for income tax purposes. You will need to register for self assessment to do this.


You could then register a company/LLP at a later date and trade that way when you choose to formalise things.


I hope this clarifies but feel free to ask further questions.


Kind regards,






JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Ben Jones

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
< Last | Next >
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Jenny Mackenzie's Avatar

    Jenny Mackenzie

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 10 years experience in general legal matters
  • Matthew J's Avatar

    Matthew J


    Satisfied Customers:

    4 y PQE (Partner) - Commercial / Residential Property & Property and Civil litigation experience
  • Stuart J's Avatar

    Stuart J


    Satisfied Customers:

    PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    family solictor with 25 years experience
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor