Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

I recently married an Ghanaian intheir traditional way is it

I recently married an Ghanaian intheir traditional way is it possible to apply for him to come to uk for a visit. Or would I have to return to Ghana to do a registerd marriage before he would be allowed a visit/stay. I am a british citizen with a uk pass port. Which department would I go through
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

Is the customary marriage that you have married under legally recognised as a marriage in Ghana?

I note you refer to a "registered marriage", is this the legal marriage in Ghana as opposed to a customary marriage?

Kind regards,

Tom

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The customary marriage is recognised as a marriage in the country but I dont know if recognised legally.

2 - This is the registrated marriage following the customary one this has the certificate whereas the customary has no written evidence

Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

Okay, if there is a registered form of marriage in the Ghana then you will have to obtain this in order for him to apply for a spouses visa so that he can stay here permanently I'm afraid. If you marry and register then he can apply for a spouses visa using Form VAF4 and submit it to the British Embassy in Ghana.

He may visit the UK on a 6 months visa, which he can apply for online from the British Embassy as well provided he can show:-

1. That he wants to visit the UK for no more than 6 months

2. That he intends to leave at the expiry of the 6 month period

3. That he has enough funds available to support himself during his stay without the need to access public funds.

4. That he does not intend to undertake paid or unpaid employment.

Please note that if he is here he cannot make an application for a spouse visa from this Country. If he wishes to make an application then he will have to return to Ghana to do it from there. The UKBA will simply not entertain an application made on a visitor's visa.

He should also not overstay an visitor's visa he obtains because this could have an impact on any future application he may choose to make.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to answer follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Tom

Thomas, Lawyer
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor