How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Thomas Your Own Question

Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7147
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have just rented a property through an agency and as soon

Resolved Question:

I have just rented a property through an agency and as soon as I moved in I have found traces of mice. The landlord is kindly ignoring the issue and left me in this difficult situation. What the law say about the habitability of a property? Has the agency the obligation to make sure a property is habitable before renting? What are the instrument I can use to make my rights to be respected? I am living this condition with a relative amount of stress and I was even harassed in the street by one of the agents who rented me the flat. The traps were hidden above the kitchen cupboards were obviously I could not get on a first visit and the rubbish and droppings are underneath the kitchen cupboards, I found them while cleaning after I have removed an unfixed panel. I am currently living in this condition. Please suggest practical steps.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.



Thanks for your question.


Obviously, renting a flat that is uninhabitable for human occupation is a fundamental breach of contract by the agent/landlord which entitles you to treat the contract as at an end. The difficulty is being able to produce evidence to back this up.


Contact the local authority's environmental department and ask them to make an emergency inspection, if they find it uninhabitable they will declare it as such and issue an enforcement notice against the landlord. Ask for a statement in writing and you can then terminate on the strength of this evidence.


At the same time write to the landlord stating the problem and that you believe it to be uninhabitable at present and request that she instructs a professional to deal with the problem no later than 7 days from the date of the letter failing which you will instruct and pay for one and then seek to claim the expense from them by an application to Court.


You can then reclaim the expense from


If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will e gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.


Kind regards,



Customer: replied 5 years ago.
this is definitely useful but you did not mention the agency's responsibility in this matter and all the stress it is causing to me, could you kindly be more specific in relation to this? I am only asking to complete your answer before accepting it and this is not a further question. if you or the website intend to charge me any extra for this please do not answer.
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.



The money you have been charged by JA is held by them until you click "accept", it is then released to me. If you are not satisfied with the answer you receive then you are at liberty to ask for a refund, if you do I will request that the moderators refund the money to your account.


The agents stand in the place of the landlord in this matter, though I would certainly copy both landlord and agent in all correspondence relating to this issue. It's plainly irresponsible and unethical to let a property in the state it's presently in, but you have rights to compel them to make it habitable (as explained above).


If the breach is proved then you can claim for financial loss resulting from the breach, the difficult with the stress you are suffering is that it's not easy to put a financial figure on it and therefore harder to claim and infinitely harder to prove.


You can complain to the Association of Residential Lettings Agents about their conduct if you so wish.


I hope this clarifies, if so please kindly click accept.

Kind regards.


Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7147
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and 2 other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Ben Jones

    Ben Jones


    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in UK Legal Matters
< Last | Next >
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones


    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in UK Legal Matters
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Jenny Mackenzie's Avatar

    Jenny Mackenzie

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 10 years experience in general legal matters
  • Matthew J's Avatar

    Matthew J


    Satisfied Customers:

    4 y PQE (Partner) - Commercial / Residential Property & Property and Civil litigation experience
  • Stuart J's Avatar

    Stuart J


    Satisfied Customers:

    PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • Alex J.'s Avatar

    Alex J.


    Satisfied Customers: