Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

hi my partner is lithuanian we both work for the same company.

hi my partner is lithuanian we both work for the same company. we have been together
for 2 years. she has lived in uk for 6 years. can she get british citizenship. i am english british born.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

Has your partner been on a workers visa for the whole of the 6 year period she has lived in the UK?

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
hi tom: she had home office approval. she has lithuanian passport. not workers visa. fred
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Hi Fred,

Okay, presumably she has registered with the worker registration scheme as a national of lituhania.

If she has been exercising treaty rights (ie. working, studying, living) in the UK for 5 years then she can apply to be naturalised as a British Citizen. She is advised to do this immediately because there are no rules coming in to force next July which may affect her by increasing the time she must spend here.

She will need to apply using Form AN1, available for download from the UKBA webstie. She will have to pass an knowledge of life and language in the UK test and undergo the citizenship ceremony pledging allegiance to the crown. Once naturalised she could apply for a UK passport.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,