Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

My wifes uncle [her fathers brother] died last October [2009],

My wife's uncle [her father's brother] died last October [2009], and the Executor of his LW&T is a nephew,[his mother was a sister to my wife's uncle & father] who advised that the Uncle had made a bequest to my wife. And yet my wife has heard nothing more - is there some way that my wife can find out the contents of the Will, (if she believes herself, (but can only be sure on the word of her cousin), herself to be a Beneficiary), please? Or is it too soon for matters to have been complete

Thanks for your question.

If a grant of probate in the estate has been obtained a copy of his Will will be attached to it. You can search the probate calender to see if one has yet been obtained and they pay a fee to receive a copy of it. Follow the instructions on the following site:-

If no grant has been obtained you should make a "standing search" of the calender, which will notify you and send you a copy of the grant if one is take out within 6 months of the date of the search:-

You can, of course, contact the executor (or solicitors) directly for more information on the administration of the estate and ask for specific confirmation of the details of the bequest. You can ask for the Will and although there is not specific duty on him to reveal it in the end it will become a public document for anyone to view once the grant has been obtained.

A simple estate would normally be expected to be completed by between 8-12 months following death so I would check at the probate registry.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,