How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7538
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello, I am a foreigner living in the UK, so is my girlfriend.

Resolved Question:

Hello, I am a foreigner living in the UK, so is my girlfriend. She gave birth to our daughter weeks ago, and we are going to register her birth next week. Could you please let me know if the law statement in the next paragraph also applies to the foreigners who are living in the UK? I really would like to get the parental responsibility on my daughter.

'From the 1 December 2003, unmarried fathers of children born after this date, provided they are named on the birth certificate of the child, also have parental responsibility. '
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.



Thanks for your question.


Yes, for the purpose of English and Welsh Law if you are named on the birth certificate you will have parental responsibility for your daughter.


If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time.It will be gratefully received ad you will be free to ask follow up questions.


Kind regards,



Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks very much for the prompt response. Just would like to make double sure - So, what you meant is that the law also applies to us even we both are foreigners without UK passport?
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Foreigners, yes. It applies to all persons in the UK. Note it is only for the purpose of law in England and Wales. If you are ever in another country then their rules may be difference but for legal purposes you will have PR here in England and Wales.


I hope this clarifes. If so please kindly click accept.

Kind regards,



Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks very much! And sorry, I have the last question, definitely the last question. So what you mean is that I may lose the parental resposibility if we move to another country which doesn't have the same law in the UK, is it right?
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

I just mean your rights as a father would be dictated by that country's law. "Parental responsibility" is not a universal concept and other country's may have their own interpretation of the treatment of parental rights. You would have to check.


You will always have PR in this country though.


Kind regards,



Thomas and 3 other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Law Questions