Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

Please answer the following questions . Im a dutch citizen

Please answer the following questions .

I'm a dutch citizen ,working in London for the past five years .
How can I change my Dutch nationality to British ?
How much does it cost ?
How long does it take ?
Can you or any other solicitor do all the process , and how much will it coast me ?

Thanks for your question.

In order to apply for naturalisation, undergo the citizenship test/ceremony and then apply for a UK passport you must first apply for permanent residence here.

Both you and your family may be eligible if you have lived in the UK for a continuous period of 5 years. This means that you cannot have been absent from the UK for more than 6 months in a year. You must also show that during the five year period you have been in employment, self employment, studying or self-sufficient.

You will need to apply using Form EEA3 and all of your family members:-

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/applicationforms/eea/eea31.pdf

They aim to complete all applications within 6 months of submission. I would do it immediately because there will be new rules coming in July next year and while you will still probably qualify it will likely take longer to gain citizenship.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions,

Kind regards,

Tom

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
You said '' In order to apply for naturalisation, undergo the citizenship test/ceremony and then apply for a UK passport you must first apply for permanent residence here. does this apply to a Dutch citizen as well ?

Yes, it applies to all EEA nationals.

Thank you for your kind accept,

Tom