Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

I was married in Margarita a Venezuelan Islan. Will this present

I was married in Margarita a Venezuelan Islan. Will this present any problems when seeking a divorce?

Thanks for your question.

If you have a marriage certificate from another country and it is not in English then a translation certified by a notary public or authenticated by an affidavit must be provided with the divorce petition when you submit it to Court so that the Court can tell that the certificate is in fact bona fide.

The divorce can then proceed as normal, assuming that you and your present spouse are living in the UK. If your spouse is out of the Country then serving documents upon him can be a bit more awkward, but it can be done.

If this is useful please kindly click accept it will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,