How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7509
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My partner and i are splitting up after over 6 years... we

Customer Question

My partner and i are splitting up after over 6 years... we are not married.. she has purchased another house in her own name am i entitled to half of this property
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.



Thanks for your question.


If you did not contribute financially to the purchase of the property and.there is no agreement in place stating you are entitled to a share of the equity then you will not be able to claim any of the equity in it I'm afriad. English Law does not recognise a common law husband (or wife) unforunately.


Sorry it could not be better news.


If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.


Kind regards,



Thomas and 2 other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
With regards XXXXX XXXXX and money that has recently been transferred from my account to her account, and we are talking a large amount of money here do i have any rights to any of this.

Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.



Why did you transfer the money? Was it intending as a gift, a form of loan or that she was merely to hold it for you for a period of time.


Thanks for the kind accept.



Customer: replied 6 years ago.
We had agreed to part and she had offered the house that we are living in to me for £100,000 which I have in writing... I transferred £85,000 into her account in order for her to purchase the house that she was buying and if and when I sold the house I would pay her £15,000. When I asked her when she was going to sign the deeds of the house over to me she has now reneged and says that I am trying to con her out of money. All the money I had were in investments which I have now lost interest on as they were long term investments and I dont know where I stand in relation to the law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.



Dealing with this without solicitors is fairly unconventional. If you consider that you intended your agreement to be legally binding then you will have a contract which you can seek to enforce. You've got to go and see a solicitor is you do not think her position is going to change and you may have to litigate to see how strong he resolve to defend her position is.


If there is a mortgage on the property then you won't be able to register as sole proprietor without their consent, and you will need to demonstrate sufficient income to receive a mortgage offer.


Having it in writing will probably be persuasive. Phone a local property litigation solicitor, take the written proof of agreement, details of the property and proof of the transfer of the funds and he will get you started.


I hope this clarifies.


Kind regards,



Related UK Law Questions