Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

I took over a 21 year lease on a pub in February 2001; there

I took over a 21 year lease on a pub in February 2001; there was 18 years and one month left on the tenancy.
Since then the pub was sold on to another pub chain.
Should I have been issued with an amended lease in the name of the take-over company?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

No, an amended lease is not issued if there is a change in the landlord.

Consult the lease, it may state that the landlord should give you formal notice of any change of landlord, and really as a matter of good practice you would expect them to regardless of whether they are actually obligated to under the lease. If they have not then it's not really a breach that entitles you to any particular amount of damages, but it does obviously provide you with a defence in the event that rent is inadvertently paid to the old landlord and the current landlord seeks to enforce their apparent rent arrears against you.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I any be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,