Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

If I wish to start an online smoking club and charge a monthly

If I wish to start an online smoking club and charge a monthly subscription of say £6.00 and offer my subscribers a free pouch of duty-free tobacco am I breaking the law?

Thanks for your question.

There are two difficulties with your proposal, the first is that it would in effect constitute a sale for the purposes of licensing legislation so you could not do it without a licence. Also, there would be problems in establishing the age of the persons ordering.

If tobacco is sold/distributed after being bought duty free you would need to pay the duty and any customs if appropriate. It would not in concept be that different from persons selling cigarettes out of bags in pubs I'm afraid.

Sorry it could not be better news.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,