Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.

How can i get a holiday deposit back,the hotel we have booked

Customer Question

How can i get a holiday deposit back,the hotel we have booked is making a large number of people very ill & is having very bad feedback on tripadvisor, im am not covered with my holiday insurance & directline say if i cancel i will loose my deposit plus other charges
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 6 years ago.

I'm afraid you cannot do that unless you specifically agreed that the deposit was refundable. usually it is not as thats the purpose of a deposit.

If its just that you dislike the look of the hotel, I'm afraid that was something for consideration before booking rather than after. Its no grounds to get your deposit back.

I am sorry.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi, its not a case of not liking the look of the hotel, its a case of not wanting to be poisoned due to lack of hygine & correct food preperation,there has been many awful reports on trip advisor & many accounts of people being hospitalised. The movenpick hotel in Taba Egypt is not owned by the movenpick chain only managed by them but they dont tell you this inthe holiday brouchers, i had to find this out from the head office in switzerland.The hotel has now been removed from the First choice & Thomson web sites ?, so its not a case of just not liking the look of it & thought your response very unhelpful
Expert:  Jo C. replied 6 years ago.
I'm sorry, but you can't cancel a contract because you subsequently hear that the contract is not very good. You need to research the contract before committing to it and if you do cancel you have to be prepared to lose your deposit. Please click on the green ACCEPT button. Your question will not close and you will be free to ask follow up questions.