Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

my partner now is in prison in spain and i dont know when he

my partner now is in prison in spain and i dont know when he will be free,he get a loan for 10000 in 2008 open a busines but everythink went wrong and he have to close the shop,he have a very big loss.now he got everythink in debt: loan, rent agrement for 5 years where was a shop which still coming bills for rent,concul taxes and ...event for our property rent in debt is well.And now recieve a letter wich says the 5 august 2010 he have to be in court for questioning what to do about this court ithink he will be still in prison.i dont know when he come back.is it possible to do something to stop all the bills,can i do this?He dont have anythink to sell no house no car nothink,what to do in this situation,where get some advice or a solicitor or lawyer.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

You've obviously got to get in touch with the Court and his creditors to inform them that your partner is imprisoned. If you have any official documentation to prove this, or if you can get hold of any (perhaps from his parents), then you should send this to the Court/creditors.

If you did not guarantee the loan or were named on any of the other agreements to which his debt relate then you will face no personal liability.

If there are any assets of his which you have possession of then these may be at risk and it's possible the bailiffs could attempt to enforce the debts against these, so it really is essential to explain your position to the creditors/Court to avoid the bailiffs attending your property and attempting to seize these goods or any of yours which they may mistake for his.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Tom