Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

My daughter has a fixed term tenancy on a house for 6 months

My daughter has a fixed term tenancy on a house for 6 months ending 10 may 2010. she emailed the letting agent 3-4 weeks ago giving notice to the end of the agreement, she has now moved but the letting agent is demanding a further month;s rent on the basis that they have not had enough notice to relet the house-is this correct?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

No, the agents are not entitled to a further month's rent. If the tenancy was for a fixed term then a tenancy may leave upon its expiry without giving any notice. If they ask for the money again tell them that they are not permitted to in law and if they ask again your daughter should state she will report them to the Association of Residential Letting Agents (if they are a member).

They will not be able to sue her for a further months rent.

I can't stand agents like this. If she was occupying the property on an assured shorthold tenancy agreement (which she will be unless she was given a notice when the tenancy started that it wasn't) and the deposit was not lodged in a Tenancy Deposit Scheme then she will be able to make an application at Court for the whole of the deposit amount and a fine of three times the deposit amount payable by the Landlord (in effect the agent) to her. It's worth checking if they are as reckless as they sound.

Good luck.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Tom

Edited by Thomas on 5/7/2010 at 8:40 PM EST