How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Thomas Your Own Question

Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7150
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello; My wife passed away last year - & we have a joint/mutual

Resolved Question:

Hello; My wife passed away last year - & we have a joint/mutual will can I change this? - what happens if I sell ourhome & spend the money that is to be left to her & my children - can I update the mutual or joint will & make my own will.
Thank you
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.



Thanks for your question. You have my sympathies for your loss.


You would have to make a new Will for yourself if that is an element of your question.


Did you instruct a probate solicitor to administer your wife's estate, and do you know if you held your interests in your property as tenants in common or joint tenants?


Kind regards,


Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Tom


Many thanks for your reply & sympathies,


No I didnt instruct a probate solicitor - I'll have to dig out the deeds what is the difference between tennants in common or joint tennants


Im being told that I cant alter the will as it is joint and mutual which is unrevokable

the property I live in is not listed but cash sums are to be left to my children of a previous marriage & my wifes children on a previous marriage but I no longer agree with this as I now have grandchildren I would like to add to the will.


Can I sell the property I live in to one of my children & use the cash to live off and give out to my family now, therebye having nothing in the joint will to leave.


Many Thanks

Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.



You cannot change the mutual & joint Will I'm afraid, my advice here would be to take it to a local private client solicitor to actually specifically check it is enforceble .


If your interests in the property with your wife were held as joint tenants then her interest in the property would pass automatically to you upon her death, this is usually regardless of any directions made in the Will but you should ask the solicitor looking at your joint will to see if it refers to it in any event. Joint/Mutual wills are very rare.


You can check how you held your interests in the property by downloading a copy of th register for the title at the Land Registry by entering the details and paying a £4.00 fee:-


Look at the propreitorship register of the title you have downloaded from the Land Registry (where the proprietors of the property are listed). If the following entry is immediately below the named registered proprietors then the interests are held as tenants in common:-

" No disposition by a sole propreitor of the registered estate (except a trust corporation) under which capital money arises is to be registered unless authorised by an order of the Court"

If there is no such entry then the proprty is held as joint tenants. If the entry is on the registered then her interest would pass under the terms of the Will. The remainder of your wife's estate should pass according to the joint Will and you cannot alter the term of that Will.


If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.


Kind regards,





Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7150
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Ben Jones

    Ben Jones


    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in UK Legal Matters
< Last | Next >
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones


    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in UK Legal Matters
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Jenny Mackenzie's Avatar

    Jenny Mackenzie

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 10 years experience in general legal matters
  • Matthew J's Avatar

    Matthew J


    Satisfied Customers:

    4 y PQE (Partner) - Commercial / Residential Property & Property and Civil litigation experience
  • Stuart J's Avatar

    Stuart J


    Satisfied Customers:

    PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • Alex J.'s Avatar

    Alex J.


    Satisfied Customers: