How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Thomas Your Own Question

Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 6536
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Does the wife (having contributed to the mortgage) have the

Resolved Question:

Does the wife (having contributed to the mortgage) have the right to stop a forced sale of the house for the debts of her husband
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.


Thanks for your question.


Is the wife named as a joint registered proprietor on the registered legal title to the property, or has she simply contributed to the mortgage repayments without actually receiving an express registered interest in the property?


Kind regards,






Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hello Tom
The wife is not named on the mortgage but she has contributed to all the payments for 15 years. The debt is £12000 owed to the bank and was an unsecured loan originally but the bank applied to have it declared interest on the property which I signed. They are now saying they may force a sale.

Thank you.

Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

Right. There is no automatic right for you to prevent the order for sale I'm afraid.


In the event that a creditor of your husbands obtains judgement at Court on the debt owed to them by your husband then they may seek to enforce the judgement by apply to Court for a charging order over your property which if registered as a final charging order (after first being registered as an interim charging order) would prevent the sale of the property without the debt to which the charging order relates being paid off.

The creditor and beneficiary of the charging order could apply to the Court for an order for the sale of the property to recover his money. Your husband would obviously be informed of any such application and you would both make representations as to why the order should not be made. These orders are considered only as a ultimate sanction by the Court and they have very wide discretion to to consider your welfare and housing requirements and those of your children (if any) and a number of factors are considered (size of debt, repayment suggestions, whether the debt will actually be repaid from the proceeds of sale, the fact that is his and your home).

An application/order to force the sale of the home from the date of the original charging order application would take a number of months in any event (if any such order were even granted) and they would certainly take into account your housing requirements (either to stay there or the time required to seek alternative accommodation).

If you are concerned that your husband will not inform you of the application for a charging order then you should speak to a local conveyancing/family solicitor about registering a home rights notice against the legal title, this will inform you of any such application so that you can engage in the process.

I'm very sorry it could not be better news, I hope you are able to appreciate that there is little point in my sugar coating your position for you.


If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I am rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,



Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 6536
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and 2 other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks very much Tom just one thing I wasn't quite sure:
We can go along in person and make representations to the court to prevent the sale if they apply for enforcement yes?

Cheers XXXXX

Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

Hi Dermot,


Thank you for your kind accept.


Yes, you will received notice of the hearing and will be permitted to attend to make representations.


Good luck.


Kind regards,




JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Last | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Ben Jones


    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in UK Law with expertise in UK Employment Law
< Last | Next >
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones


    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in UK Law with expertise in UK Employment Law
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Jenny Mackenzie's Avatar

    Jenny Mackenzie

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 10 years experience in general legal matters
  • Matthew J's Avatar

    Matthew J


    Satisfied Customers:

    4 y PQE (Partner) - Commercial / Residential Property & Property and Civil litigation experience
  • Stuart J's Avatar

    Stuart J


    Satisfied Customers:

    PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice.
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice