Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

My husband & I are currently renting our home, he works full

My husband & I are currently renting our home, he works full time and I'm a stay at home mum. We have recently seen a flat that we would like to buy. Can my husband have the mortgage in his name only, but have the title deeds in both our names?

Thanks for your question.

It depends on the lender providing your mortgage offer. The offer will usually contain a condition that the person named on the mortgage acquires and is registered as the freehold owner, without anyone else registered..

They are generally keen to avoid potential enforcement problems in the event that the person named on the mortgage defaults and they seek an order for possession, your interest would create an obstacle to this.

Sorry it could not be better news.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I am rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,