UK
UK, Paralegal
Experience:  Paralegal
34396488

my son is on a section 20 voluntary care order, i am in the

Customer Question

my son is on a section 20 voluntary care order, i am in the army due to posted to germany, am i allowed to leave him in voluntary care whilst i am out the country or not?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  UK replied 7 years ago.
Who is currently looking after him?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
he is in a care home under local authority. but its voluntary care, a section 20.
Expert:  UK replied 7 years ago.
I see. If he is there and under the Local Authority care, explain you are going to be posted before you leave giving them a date for return and I do not anticipate a problem.

Keep the Local Authority informed and they will more likely be cooperative.

If I have answered your question please click ACCEPT so that I may receive feedback - thank you.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
but where do i stand legally? will it be classed as abandonment?
Expert:  UK replied 7 years ago.
No because you intend to return (I assume you do?)

And it is for work after all - its not as if you are going for a jolly.

If this has answered your question please click ACCEPT so that I may receive feedback, thank you.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

is there a legal form we need to sign?

Expert:  UK replied 7 years ago.
The Council may ask you to sign a disclaimer. It does depend on authority to authority so it is not a definate answer I can give.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no your not answering me, am a allowed to move abroad, it is a section 20 voluntary care order
Expert:  UK replied 7 years ago.
You said posted to Germany, when do you expect to come back to the UK?
Expert:  UK replied 7 years ago.
I am going offline now, but I will answer tomorrow morning once I have the info.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
2 years i am there for
Expert:  UK replied 7 years ago.

If Dad is not on the scene or he does not have parental responsibility that will not cause you an issue. If dad does have PR then he would be able to withdraw his consent and take the child.

If Dad is not on the scene or does not have PR then as long as you continue to consent then it will not be a problem. I assume you are having some sort of contact? This should continue with letters and phone calls etc.