QC
QC, Solicitor
Experience:  8 yrs pqe, TEP, CPD Trainer in Inheritance Tax Planning
11081860

My partner has passed away we lived together for 3 years. The

My partner has passed away we lived together for 3 years. The property we owned was in joint names as was the level term assurance policy to cover us for death . My partner was in the process of a divorce but this has not been finalised so therefore his wife as gone down as next of kin on his death certificate. We have a 15 month old baby so I am also on the death certificate as her parent. Were do I stand as regards XXXXX XXXXX term assurance policy is his wife entitled to any of this.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  QC replied 6 years ago.

Dear JA Customer

I am sorry to hear about your partner's death.

As regards XXXXX XXXXX it is very likely that you are the only person entitled to te term assurance policy proceeds, (and the property). However, your partner's wife may have been making a financial claim on divorce, and can therefore make a similar claim on death under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1974. I would not worry about this just yet as you are the sole beneficiary until and unless a claim is made. If a claim is made, you will need to take formal legal advice.

Sincerely

QC