Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

what is the penalty of growing 20 plant of cannabis

what is the penalty of growing 20 plant of cannabis?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

what is the penalty of growing 20 plant of cannabis???

Country relating to question is UK.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

Yes, I asked if you could explain your situation?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Basically I am asking this question for someone else.

7 months ago police went to this person's house and they found 20 plants of cannabis, tools for growing, a scale and £6000 cash money, then they took him to police station with all the evidences. He said that all 20 plants were for his personal use and money was what he has been saved.

Finally they did let him go and told him that we will ask you to come back for another interview. After a couple of months, one day police went to his house again and searched everywhere. They did not find any cannabis but again there was £7000 of his wife money that police confiscated.

Then they took him to police station again, and showed him all his bank statements, since 3 years ago thousands of pound has been came and gone in his accounts.

So they asked about moneys and he said I have an exchange company and I also have the authorisation to do this job, however police said that you haven't paid your taxes and he answered that I did not know that I should pay tax for those money because I am just a dealer. Approximately he didn't pay for about £100,000 pounds.

Also he came to UK as an international student.

So what will be the penalty for growing 20 plants of cannabis with all these situations?

Thank You

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

They will probably charge him with cultivation if the plants are still alive and in various stages of growth.

The cannabis is not a huge amount but its all of the other paraphenalia that aggravates the matter. if he has no previous he will get a high level community order. If he has previous they may considered custody.

Its a magistrate court amount though and the only thing that will take it to the crown court is the paraphenalia.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
<p class="text-15-black"> </p><p>So what will happen to taxes that he didn't pay and all the moneys that police confiscated?</p><p>If we say he has no previous so there is possibility that he get a high level community order, in that case would his name go to Police International Computer?</p><p>And would he be able to extend his student visa again?</p><p> </p><p>Thank You</p>
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

Nobody pays taxes on the sale of cannabis.

The money would probably be confiscated.

His name would go on police records and it would certain impact negatively on his student visa.

Jo C., Barrister
Experience: Over 5 years in practice.