QC, Solicitor
Experience:  8 yrs pqe, TEP, CPD Trainer in Inheritance Tax Planning

my father died on 31st january he left a small amount of money

my father died on 31st january he left a small amount of money to be split between myself and my other two sisters .The problem is he left the money in a trust of which my uncle is trustee he has received the money from the insurance company but is being very akward and is demanding to see the original form that he signed ,which we dont have .We do have a copy but this isnt good enough for him. My father and my uncle fell out some years ago. thankyou

No, you do not have to do this, but it is better if you could get it or a copy. If you can't then you need to see a solicitor and make a declaration/offer an indemnity to your uncle, so that he has some form of protection against a claim being made against him for paying out. I would try to keep him sweet as technically he can use trust funds to 'establish the correct facts', which means he could spend your money on legal fees. An alternative is to ask him to resign as trustee.