Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

Hi My daughter will start her third year at Uni in September

Hi

My daughter will start her third year at Uni in September and is moving from one rented property to another. My wife has been asked to stand as a guarantor on behalf of my daughter in respect of the new accommodation that she will be sharing with four others. No guarantee was requested on the previous property and the guarantee appears to be unlimited.

I am not against standing as a guarantor to a realistic level but would like the reassurance that this is normal practice and that guarantee is reasonable in the circumstances and protects us as much as the landlords.

Would you be able to view the document if I could e-mail it to you and give an opinion.

Thank you

Regards Andy
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 7 years ago.

Hello Andy

Thanks for your question.

I'm afraid that Just Answer prohibits the attaching of documents/private correspondence between customers and experts, it is more for general advice.

Guarantees are fairly common, particularly where the landlord has had their fingers burnt by bad tenants in the past or where agents use them as a matter of course in student lets. The extent of your liability under the guarantee depends on how wide the wording is. I note you say it is unlimited, does it refer just to your daughter and her tenancy, or the tenancy as a whole?

If it refers to the tenancy and your daughter and her flatmates are all signing one document which refers to them being 'jointly and severally liable' then this will mean that you are guaranteeing the rent (and any other sums due under the agreement) of all of the tenants together. Of course, the other parents of your daughter's friends are probably being asked to sign a guarantee and you should check with them to make sure there are other guarantors to limit your exposure.

If the guarantee just refers to her and her tenancy agreement and each flatmate has their own tenancy agreement then you are only exposed to the costs your daughter incurs.

Ultimately, it comes down to trust but you should check for joint and several liability and get in contact with the other guarantors to check your are not going to be the only left without a chair.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Tom

if all named as jointly severally -