Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

How long does it take to complete a will My cousin was 99

How long does it take to complete a will? My cousin was 99 years old when she died in Feb.2009. She had a will and was in regular consultation with her solicitor.How can I find out who her solicitor was?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

It does not take very long at all for a person to make a Will (a matter of weeks, if not less).

If you are concerned that you may have a claim against your cousin's estate then you could try asking those that may know who her solicitor was and then try and get in contact with the solicitor who dealt with the administration of her estate. The solicitor dealing with the matter (or the executor) would have contacted you if you were a beneficiary under the Will.

If you would like to check the Will to be sure you should look to see if a grant of probate in the estate has been obtained a copy of her Will will be attached to it. You can search the probate calender to see if one has yet been obtained and they pay a fee to receive a copy of it. Follow the instructions on the following site:-

If no grant has been obtained you should make a "standing search" of the calender, which will notify you and send you a copy of the grant if one is take out within 6 months of the date of the search:-

The grant of probate will also have details of the executor of the estate so that you can get in contact with them to find out more information about the administration of the estate and whether you have any rights under the Will

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,