Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

I am letting someone graze their horses in my field. Is there

I am letting someone graze their horses in my field. Is there anything in the law stating they could they ownership after a certain period of time?

Hi Customer

Thanks for your question.

In order to claim ownership by adverse possession of land a person must demonstrate over ten years continuous use of the land and in any event you would have the right to object. If your land is registered you would also receive notice of the applicaiton for adverse possession.

If this has been usefull please kindly click accept so that I am rewarded for my time. It will b gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

It has been suggested that a peppercorn rent would give added security. Is this correct?
If so, would I need to have the agreement drawn up by a professional?

Customerbr />

Yes, it would be sensible.

You should give instructions to a local property solicitor to draft up a grazing licence stating specifically the terms of the grazing.

Fairly straight forward it should not cost you more than £150+VAT to have one done.

Kind regards