Street Legal
Street Legal, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor

i lost my german driving license in the uk i resident in uk

Customer Question

i lost my german driving license in the uk i resident in uk about 6 years what i should do now im a coach driver in one agency my license been already in the court because of speeding driving the court give me 3 points and 60 pounds fine my license should be register in the uk or not thanks
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Street Legal replied 6 years ago.

You can use your German driving licence in the UK to drive coaches until you are 45 or for 5 years after taking up full-time residence in the UK. However, after that point in time, you must apply for a full UK licence. There is no test to take but a fee is payable.

If you have a vocational driving licence (that is one which allows you to drive coaches) you must register your license with the DVLA.

This link will give you further information.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

But i lost it and have only a copy and i need the original to register. What do I have to do as i dont live in german anymore to have an address to ask for a replacement and it will be very difficult for me to go there now. Should i take an english licence from school now? or is there any way of registering for counterpart or getting the english license through the german copy only? Thanks

Your options are to apply for a replacement licence from Germany using your UK address or taking the UK test.

DVLA will only swap a current European driving licence for a UK licence if you have a license to show them.