Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

Hi, Can anybody help answer this question If you have had

Can anybody help answer this question?
If you have had access to the rear of your property for the last 10yrs over someone else,s land without having to pay or ever being denied,can this be then just blocked off,with the development of another property.
Hope to hear from someone soon.

Hello Gary,

Thanks for your question.

Under the Prescription Act 1832 you must have used the access for 20 years in order to claim it as a legal right, so although you have used it for a significant period of time you will not be able to enforce it against the owner of the property should they object.

Obviously, if there is an express right on the legal title to the property then you will be able to enforce it.

Sorry it could not be better news. If this has been usefull please kindly click accept so that I am rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,